Sunday, August 1, 2010

Peaked Hood Part One

So... No posts in 4 months and then two in one day. Wow! This post is a little heavy on the pics, and a little light on the text.

I had some spare time- the riding lawnmower died, so I had sort of nothing to do. Well, I should have fixed the lawnmower but... well, this was more fun.

I bent a 1/4" rod to the contours of the hood (that was kind of fun, actually. 1/4 inch bends a lot easier than 3/8ths or 1/2" rod) and once I was happy with the fit, I sanded-to-metal the hood and tack welded it in place.

I would have finished welding it, but I discovered my last spool was empty so I kind of had to stop. ha ha. I should have grabbed some more while I was out today, but now everything is closed so I'm stuck.

Tracee (my better half and soon to be mother of my child) and I were at odds - she would have like to retain the center strip and the hood bird, and I wanted to smooth the entire hood out.

So, this was my compromise - no hood bird, but the hood will be peaked (so it's still sort of smoothed, but also has the right feel)

I've seen a few customs here and there with this treatment - and I loved it.

So- on Tuesday on my way home I'll swing by 'the shop' and pick up a couple of spools of welding wire, finish welding the peak in and then grind, smooth, sand and fill until it's right.

Gives me something to do while I'm waiting for the driveshaft, anyway- and I'm sort of tired of trying to get the clutch linkage right. A break is just what the MD ordered.

No comments:

Post a Comment