Friday, March 19, 2010

It's Spring!



Whew! Winter is over. Sort of. We've had a run of great weather so I dove in and started working. But first...


Over the course of the winter I've picked up a few parts- new master cylinder and underfloor pedal assembly, new rear end (3.11 POSI!) and other smaller parts and pieces. The winter was spent planning, dreaming and scheming.


Last weekend, I found the time to pull the steering column out. That was a good start.


So- with the good weather today, I finally tore into the front end of the Chevy - and nobody was more surprised than I, when 2 and 1/2 hours later the entire front end was out of the car.


Tracee got some really nice pics while I was "concentrating". Thanks Sweetie! 


You'll notice that I did not pull the fenders or front end to do this work. Instead, I cut 4 inches out of the inner fenderwells which allowed me to access the bolts. I had some funky stuff happening (a weirdly and crudely fabricated battery box, holes and a bit of rust bolts frozen solid, that sort of thing).

I decided it would be easier (for now) to leave the fenders and front end in place. It will eventually come out, but I need to get the beast rolling again quickly. I don't like leaving it in the driveway wheelless anyway- so within the next couple of weeks the Mustang II front end will be seated, and hopefully I can set the motor and transmission in so I can fabricate the transmission mount.  



While I was in there (literally!) I started grinding down the firewall ribs and cleaning things up. I must have been tired though, I kept shredding cutting disks. I'll continue tomorrow. Yes, there will be more pictures as I progress further!

No comments:

Post a Comment