Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Block cleanup underway

I'm looking for a machinist - the 305 came fairly clean, but there's still some residual "pitting" in two of the cylinders. I'll ask them to go .020 - I'd like to avoid a radical rebore.

I know it's crazy. Really crazy - but I'm planning to stroke this motor out, using a 3.75" crank and 5.7" rods.

If the bore is increased by .020 the total displacement will be around 332 cid.  I just love the idea of taking the most common "corporate" block from the 80s and turning it into something unique.

Add to that an RV cam, corvette intake and carb, and my HO 416 heads (ported and polished), I hope to make an honest 350hp. The 416 heads are 58cc - and if I'm not mistaken that'll put my compression ratio in at around 10:1.

I've read... now I don't know true this really is... but I've heard stories of similar setups making more than 400 horses, so I'm optimistic.

Tomorrow, I'll finish the cleanup of the block, and then I'll clean the crap off the garage floor.

Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment