Saturday, September 5, 2009

Off with the heads.

Woke up early. Pulled both heads off the 305 - that was actually easier than the last time I did it- I didn't put a guage on the head bolts, but some of them were NOT torqued down to spec. I think it's 'empty' now - that is, the reast of the water poured out of it. The cylinder walls are dirty, a little rusty and will require a hone. HOW MUCH machining is yet to be seen- I'm going to head out next week and pick up a new set of caliper / cylinder guages, a hone, a reamer and then pull the bottom end apart to see how bad it is on the other side. I'm not going to be too upset if I end up going with a different block, but I would LOVE to use this thing - and keep the car's build in the spirit of "work with what ya got". On the other hand, if it needs a lot of work to bring back to life, then I could just as easily take that money and put it into a 350. Hmm.

Oh- I'll take pics tomorrow afternoon and post them in the gallery...

No comments:

Post a Comment